Dr Sylvia Munoz-Price said: "This type of bacteria comes from the saliva of dogs".
He was not bitten by the animal, with medics saying it is rare for a person to fall victim to such an infection when they haven't been bitten. Doctors confirmed he contracted Capnocytophaga Canimorsus. "Within days of being admitted to the hospital while still fighting for his life, Greg first lost both feet, after a second surgery to remove more damage on legs, they amputated thru both Knee caps". Then doctors had to remove his hands.
Blood tests revealed that Manteufel had an infection caused by the bacteria capnocytophaga, which can come from the saliva of dogs.
RBI monetary policy: Repo rate hiked by 25 bps
With a general rise in the interest rate in the financial system, the EMIs you pay on your home and auto loans have been rising. The Reserve Bank of India ( RBI ) on Wednesday chose to increase the policy repo rate by 25 basis points to 6.5%.
Within a week, doctors told him they had to cut off his legs - as the disease, which caused 48-year-old Manteufel's blood pressure to plummet and the circulation in his limbs to dramatically decrease. The next morning Manteufel was delirious and his temperature jumped, so his wife, Dawn, brought him to the hospital. Prosthetic limbs and more treatment at a rehabilitation centre still await him.
"Furthermore, all areas of Greg's body and tissue was affected by the bacteria and the sepsis, the [doctors] say his nose will need extensive repairs, which means he will need plastic surgery to rebuild a new healthy nose", a post on the family's GoFundMe page said.
A GoFundMe to help Greg Manteufel, a 48-year-old house painter who enjoys riding Harley-Davidson motorcycles, pay for prosthetics. Thankfully, it's also very rare, affecting only 0.67 people per million in a nationwide survey in the Netherlands, so dog owners shouldn't worry too much about their beloved pet landing them in a medical catastrophe. Up to 74 percent of dogs have the bacteria and 57 percent of cats have it. According to the Centers for Disease Control, the bacteria Capnocytophaga live in the mouths of dogs and cats.
Man United stars to cut off holiday
Karim Benzema scored for Madrid in the stoppage time of first half as the game ended 2-1 in favour of the Premier League giants. Rashford and Jesse Lingard were holidaying in Miami and staying five minutes away from the team hotel near South Beach.
The cause of this horrifying illness? The people most at risk for this infection are those with weakened immune systems, according to the CDC.
"More than 99 percent of people that have dogs will never have this issue".
Dog bites are known to cause extreme medical problems, but we don't often worry about affectionate gestures like licks.
Robert Mugabe's old party wins Zimbabwe election without him
MDC supporters burnt tyres and pulled down street signs as protests spread from the party headquarters in Harare . We will not live and die in such a Zimbabwe".