Health Department: Man dies after eating raw oysters at restaurant

Мужчина умер от плотоядной бактерии поев устриц

Health Department: Man dies after eating raw oysters at restaurant

Vibrio vulnificus is a naturally occurring bacteria that resides in warm, brackish seawater.

The man died on July 10 after eating at an unidentified restaurant in Sarasota County, according to the Florida Department of Health.

The 71-year-old man ate oysters at a Sarasota restaurant and died two days later.

Michael Drennon, the Disease Intervention Services Program Manager for Florida Department of Health Sarasota County, told ABC7 Sarasota that symptoms such as diarrhea, fever and general symptoms associated with gastrointestinal illness "can progress to a severe illness where you get the bacteria into your blood causing you to be more sick". The particular type of bacterial in question is not considered flesh-eating.

Trump Learned Extent of Russian Meddling Before Inaugural — NY Times
His attempt to clarify what he said in Helsinki is being widely dismissed, even mocked, by many in mainstream media land. That's a change from Trump's initial upbeat description of his meeting with Russia's president.

Healthy individuals will normally develop a mild disease from infection, health officials said.

This bacteria is known to thrive in warm, salty water, which is why it can be found in shellfish, especially in the summer.

The man had underlying medical conditions, a Florida Department of Health spokesman told WTLV-TV.

There are approximately 80,000 vibriosis infections in the U.S. every year, according to the CDC.

Putin Accuses 'Powerful' US Forces of Trying to Derail Trump Summit Success
Ambassador to Russia Michael McFaul . "We certainly believe we are taking steps so they can not do it again", Sanders said. USA intelligence agencies have found evidence showing Russian agents actively interfered with the 2016 election .

"Vibriosis causes an estimated 80,000 illnesses and 100 deaths in the United States every year", according to the Centers for Disease Control.

But the species the Florida man consumed, Vibrio vulnificus, is more risky. But it's very rare; the CDC estimates are that there are about 205 cases in the USA every year.

This is the first case and fatality involving flesh eating bacteria in Sarasota County this year.

According to the CDC, there's no way to know if an oyster carries bacteria like Vibrio. There were three confirmed cases and one death in 2016. During that time there were at least 72 infections, mostly caused by eating raw oysters, and 36 deaths.

Israel passes divisive law declaring only Jews have right to 'national self-determination'
Israel's parliament has passed into law a controversial bill that defines the country as an exclusively Jewish state. Some Arab politicians shouted and ripped up papers after the vote.

They also should not enter the water with an open wound, but should wrap or protect any wounds before entering brackish sea water.

Latest News