Donald Trump's former driver sues over unpaid wages

Donald Trump

Modal Trigger Getty Images

US President Donald Trump's longtime personal driver - a man who has carted the bulbous pile of congealed gravy around since the late 80s - is now suing him over alleged thousands upon thousands of hours of unpaid overtime.

The lawsuit says that Cintron was exploited, describing his treatment as being "in an utterly callous display of unwarranted privilege and entitlement and without even a minimal sense of noblesse oblige", and also pointed out the irony of working for a billionaire and being paid poorly.

Cintron was Trump's driver for 20 years, until the Secret Service took over when Trump became the Republican presidential nominee in 2016, according to the suit.

"Mr. Cintron was at all times paid generously and in accordance with the law", Trump Organization spokeswoman Amanda Miller said in a statement.

In his lawsuit, Cintron said that he started working for Trump almost 30 years ago and only stopped acting as his chauffeur when the U.S. Secret Service took over the job.

Justin Timberlake will show England-Croatia game at London arena before concert
Lovren, whose nation are into the semi-finals for the first time since 1998, said Croatia could play with freedom. They have not advanced to the Final since 1966, when they won it all.

Over a 25-year period, Cintron says in the suit he worked 50 to 55 hours a week and earned a base salary but was never paid overtime pay for the time he worked beyond 40 hours per week, as is lawyers said is legally required.

The unpaid overtime alone totaled more than $178,000, at $54.09 per hour, and could have been higher but for a statute of limitations, the complaint said.

According to the complaint, Cintron was not compensated for work he performed on holidays and vacations.

The suit lists the Trump Organization as a defendant but not Trump himself.

The White House referred questions about the suit to the Trump Organization.

Novichok nerve agent victim regains consciousness
Sturgess and Charlie Rowley reportedly fell ill after coming into contact with Novichok on June 30, and Sturgess died days later. Salisbury District Hospital said yesterday that Charlie was now conscious but "not out of the woods yet" .

Cintron "has not received any raises since then", the suit adds. Hutcher said that deal saved the Trump Organization money, since the raise they gave Cintron was less than the $17,866 that Trump's company had previously spent on his health insurance.

In 2010 he was given his second raise, to $75,000 - but on condition of surrendering his health benefits, which Mr Cintron alleges saved the Organization almost $18,000 per year.

Cintron's legal action seeks unpaid overtime pay, plus additional payments and penalties under the federal Fair Labor Standards Act and NY labor statutes.

In addition, Cintron is alleging that he only received pay increases on two occasions in the past 15 years.

India thump England to clinch T20 series after Rohit Sharma century
England lost four wickets for 46 runs before Ben Stokes (14) and Jonny Bairstow (25 off 14 balls) had a 37-run partnership. India's initiation of the innings towards the big total was not sound. - Eoin Morgan on England's line-up worries.

Latest News