Peru captain Guerrero ruled out of World Cup

Peru's forward Paolo Guerrero

Doping clouds Peru captain Guerrero's World Cup hopes

Paolo Guerrero is out, and if that's an unfamiliar name, you're obviously not Peruvian.

Guerrero, Peru's record goalscorer, was banned for six months a year ago after a positive doping test, but that was extended to 14 months on Monday by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

CAS says Guerrero will be banned for 14 months which lasts until January.

Guerrero's absence will be a big blow for Peru, who are preparing for their first World Cup finals since 1982.

South and North Korea to Hold Meeting for Peace on May 16
Pompeo added that Kim follows the Western press and "he's paying attention things the world is saying". But he said the USA would not be willing to invest taxpayer dollars to help the DPRK.

The ban, backdated to November, was reduced to six months less than two weeks later after the player protested to FIFA's appeal committee, meaning he was eligible for the World Cup.

Guerrero was banned for a full year after his drug tests resulted positive for cocaine metabolite benzoylecgonine following the Peruvian national football club's World Cup qualifier against Argentina in October 2017.

But WADA lodged an appeal - alongside another from Guerrero seeking to quash his sanction altogether - requesting the Federation Internationale de Football Association decision was set aside and a ban of one to two years implemented.

Peru are in Group C of the Russia World Cup, together with France, Denmark and Australia.

Cameron Smith to retire from representative football effective immediately
Smith announced the surprise move on Tuesday afternoon that he would no longer play rugby league beyond his club duties with the Melbourne Storm.

Guerrero, who has denied wrongdoing throughout, had also appealed to CAS to request the ban be annulled altogether.

The court said its judging panel "also accepted that he did not attempt to enhance his performance by ingesting the prohibited substance".

Guerrero, who is Peru's all-time record scorer with 32 goals, played for Brazilian side Flamengo last week on May 6 at the conclusion of his six-month ban.

CAS said that Guerrero bore "some fault or negligence, even if it was not significant, and that he could have taken some measures to prevent him from committing an anti-doping violation".

Incremental North Korean denuclearisation will be unacceptable - South Korea official
Trump, a businessman-turned-president, must have kept in mind his signature "art of the deal". Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in Pyongyang after his China trip, according to the Yomiuri.

It is the second ruling from sport's highest court that has weighed heavily on Peru's first World Cup appearance in 36 years. His case and that of WADA were consolidated into a single case in Lausanne.

Latest News